Thoughts on make Installer for Shazzam

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM

I'm seriously thinking about removing the Click-Once install for Shazzam.  

Reasons:

• First I get a lot of requests from corporate customers to provide a regular installer.   Seems like game shops are starting to use Shazzam and this is a concern of theirs too.
  • Because of the DirectX requirements, I'm always afraid that the next version release will break the all the installed clients.    We had issues like this last fall.
  • How to roll back a installed Click-Once app to the previous version seems hard to discover by many
  • This would be mitigated by have each version available as a separate install, you could always reinstall previous version

Creating the installer is easy, so that's not an issue.  What I would miss however is the easy way the app updates.    I would like to at least provide notifications to installed users that a new version is available for download.

What do you think?

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I'd love to see an xcopy style deployment option if that's possible. I really like portable utility applications that run with no setup or installation process because I have a shared folder of utilities that is mapped on all of my computers, VMs, and alternate boot VHD's. That way I can install/update an application once and it's portable across all of my work environments. I have dozens of applications including Firefox, Thunderbird, the SysInternals utilities, Reflector, Putty, Snoop, Defraggler, BellaVista, etc. all in that folder and it's great!

I'd love to have Shazzam there as well. I'm not worried about updates as I subscribe to your blog so I'll know when a new version comes out. :)

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM

How about a 2-way deployment strategy ??

instead of auto-update use this : http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/dennis/archive/2007/11/05/manual-check-for-updates-with-clickonce.aspx

This makes the program better/easier to copy around...

Then simply add a Setup Project to the solution, which creates a MSI for those who want that... both ways are possible at once !

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Hey Walt...

If you like the ClickOnce method of hosting your app... i've found a way to include all the pre-requisites...

simply open the properties for the project, then open "application files" and select all files to "INCLUDE" instead of pre-requisit

thereby people don't need to install DX10 SDK... and you can still use ClickOnce deployment (and auto update)